Private Library Construction
We have been building libraries for a number of our clients for a few years now. These have ranged from requests by people wishing to have a full set of books by a certain author, to a much wider selection of modern first editions. A library can consist of a few thousand volumes constructed over a number of years with ongoing communications regarding potential purchases, or it can consist of a handful of treasured titles. A number of our clients like to take an active role in the construction confirming each book before purchase, others are happy to sit back and have their libraries constructed and installed.
We offer a bespoke service for building private libraries. Here are a number of considerations:
- If you have neither the time nor inclination, we can handle the complete construction of the library. We can consult on the proposed contents of the library, procure the books, catalogue and install them.
- If you have a theme or list of authors / titles already we can advise on the editions to buy.
- If you'd like to find and purchase the books yourself, we can put together a suggested catalogue of books that would make a nice rounded collection.
- We can simply advise on how to build your library.
- We can provide boxes and slipcases for books too, all books will be protected with transparent film.
- A full, printed catalogue of the contents can be produced also, with provenance.
- We can deliver and shelve the books for you. We work internationally.
Who We Work With
We work with collectors directly but also with architects and interior designers. We also work with librarians who are looking to bolster sections of their rare book collections.
Some Examples of Libraries We Have Put Together
- A large library of multi-volume classic books, including novels by the Brontes, Jane Austen, Shakespeare and Burton's Arabian Nights and other works such as those by Samuel Johnson, John Milton and Edmund Spenser.
- A collection of early speculative fiction; the collector specifically wanted pre-20th century works that were largely unknown.
- A complete set of Hugo and Nebula award-winning novels, by author's home country, i.e. follow-the-flag.
- Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and stand-alone novels, each signed and inscribed.
- A set of UK Booker Prize winning first editions.
- Rebound classic 20th century literature, an on-going project with no end in sight!
- The complete works of Haruki Murakami, including UK signed first editions, limited editions and magazine articles).
- Stephen King's US and UK Proofs and Advanced Reader Copies.